I saw this O Canada quilt made by one of my favorite quilt authors and I knew immediately that I needed to make it for Sharan. We miss her being so far from home and I wanted this to be a big hug from home. That is what I think that a quilt really is, a warm hug, that helps us to feel of the love and effort from its maker.
I only managed to finish the top to give to Sharan when she got here this summer. But I think that it worked out perfect as then I gave it to her on Canada Day and she got to have input into how it was completed.I am super happy with how it turned out. It is nearly all scrappy with a couple of solid blocks thrown in there for some personality. I love the solid red one in the middle.
These pictures were actually before I managed to get a binding on it. It had a red scrappy binding that was great to finish it off.
There is something so appealing to my kids about a quilt on the ground, whether it is still blocks or a top or finished, they have to climb all over it. I have learned to work more quickly when I have just blocks out of the ground because it can be frustrating to play around with the layout and have the kids come through and pull it all apart. So I have learned other methods, like layout after bedtime and never leaving it laying out, just make decisions and pin in in rows. It is all good to have it climbed on at this point, all good and together. I love my cute naked baby model!
I was debating the backing until Paul came up with this brilliant idea of a whole Canada flag on the back. I love it just as much as the front! He has such great suggestions, I love it!
I wanted the lights and darks to stand out a little more so I quilted them more obviously with dark brown thread and pale beige thread. I am happy with this helping to emphasize the pattern that was more subtle.
This is beautiful Fig Tree and Co. fabric that I knew would suit Lindsay very well. It is a tonne of half square triangles. I am happy with how it turned out!
I tried to do a simple orange peel quilting on this. I have learned that I need to slow down and take my time a little bit more if I want more precise results. I tend to want to sew really fast but would greatly benefit with a slight reduction in speed to help with my sloppy quilting. Anyways, it is good to figure things out about yourself.
I felt very grateful to be able to be a part of finishing this beautiful quilt and to have it stay cherished in the family! I'm sure that little Mary will have many years cuddled in this lovely quilt!







No comments:
Post a Comment