Saturday, September 28, 2013

Latest quilts and Sewing room!

I worked hard on getting a whole bunch of quilts done this summer as I felt so sad for our neighbours and the circumstances after the floods.  I kept thinking about at the very least, baby blankets stored in a basement, that are now destroyed, or worse, losing everything.  I mainly focused on baby blankets as they are fast and every baby needs a blanket.  So here are a few of the quilts that were finished this summer.  I had lots of fun and work on these, every quilt has a big part of me put into it.  I love that about it.  It is like a hug from me on a cold morning.  I love quilts!
This first quilt was from fabric that I had already cut from quilts that I made to donate years ago.  So it was rather quick to put together.  It isn't my cutest quilt but warm just the same.
 I did 2 quilts of this pattern as it was so quick to cut and piece.  Something that is helpful.  I made a bunch that were gender neutral, but this one is more girly, I think.
 Here is the quilting from this one.  I haven't often (actually ever, until this one) done straight line quilting.  It was pretty easy and fun.  I tried to make it more modern looking by changing up the width of the lines.  I am happy with how it turned out.
 This fabric is the backing for many quilts as I love it, also that I got a tonne of it for super cheap!!  So great for backing, a big bold colorful backing.  So cute!!
Here is the layout practice.  I changed it from random colors all around, to more of this rainbow progression.  I am really happy with it.  I have more of these whirly-gigs to put together one more quilt of this.
I had a hard time deciding which fabric for a border, so I decided another rainbow would be best.  I just pieced together some of my 2.5" squares as a fun border.  The biggest problem with this quilt, which didn't show much in the pictures, is that I did a solid red backing.  This the bled onto the white on the front, making it look peachy.  But not too bad, since I can't even tell in these pictures.
I quilted this quilt by echoing the pattern, but only on the white.  Then the colored whirly-gigs stand out a little bit more.  It was sure fun.

I really like these color, and just finished another quilt with this fabric (to come later).  I think that this one turned out really well.  I want to do this pattern again!

This one is the quilt that Kyndal made!  She took some old squares that my Grandma Syms had cut, and she organized, sewed and ironed this quilt herself.  She was really fun to do this with.  She has made 2 full quilts and other projects that have turned into aprons, or something of the like.  She has done a great job and I would love to work to include her more in planning other projects.  It would be great learning!
She even pieced the backing herself.  This is proof that she is watching what I am doing, she just decided how she wanted to back to be pieced.  Cute and simple.  It is great!
She was particular about how she wanted me to quilt this.  She wanted there to be hearts on the binding, and to have hearts and loops all over it.  It turned out pretty cute.  She donated this quilt as well.
I began to clean up our office.  This room has, in the past, been quite a cluttered storage room for too much stuff.  It has been better as we changed the location for a bunch of things that resided in here.  It has become functional and I wanted it to be beautiful as well.  This room has never even had pictures hung up.  I began by organizing my fabric better.  It looked great and then I wanted to do more.  So my ironing board is my grandmas old one, so I decided to make a new cover for it.  This was so easy (like a 10 min project, literally!), so I wanted to do more, so I spray painted the legs, and it turned out so cute.  So I wanted to add more color to the room, and decided to paint my little desk.  This desk my grandpa made for me when I was young and I was excited to refresh it and help my room have a splash of color.  I love it and have since these picture painted another little shelf to go beside my desk and extend my surface a little.
I put pictures up and my little word on the wall.  I also have plans to make a wall hanging quilt to go in that space on the wall.  I think it will really add a lot to the space.  So fun.  Paul likes to tease me now that it is now my sewing room.  I have not taken total control of this room, as it still has our computer and some other uses.  I call it the office, and it gets enjoyed by all of us, but definitely has sewing going on in it!
A lovely stack of quilts that will hopefully be loved and keep someone warm!

2 comments:

  1. Oh and I really love the quilt with the aqua and red polka dot border. Have you ever looked at the blog Simplify by Camille Roskelly? She does amazing quilts and fabrics (she has a line of fabric with her mom) and all of her stuff is completely gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete