Monday, August 30, 2010

Homeschooling!!


We have been having lots of fun this month doing homeschooling. We decided to try it this year in June and we have done lots of practicing since then. It has still been pretty low-key but it is still amazing to me what we have accomplished this month (that we have been keeping better track and recording what we are doing). Some of the fun things we have done are, we went on a great learning hike where Kyndal took pictures of things that she saw, felt, heard, smelled and tasted I guess (we ate lunch out there). We also learned about what things we see in summer so that we can remember as we watch the seasons change.

My girls are quite the little entomologists (they love to study bugs) This is them exploring a little ant hill that was hidden under a log. It was so funny to me that when my nephew stepped on it and squished their little home Kyndal tore a strip off him about breaking their home and how that would make him feel if someone did that to him. My little ant defender. I had such a good laugh at her response! She is never lacking in intensity for whatever she chooses to defend!

We have done so many crafts, enjoyed reading lots together and just watching as Kyndal soaks up all that she wants to learn. It is really neat. I am grateful for being able to enjoy this year of exploration with her.
My girls sour faces as we tested out our tongues with different tastes. They did this with lemon juice over and over as sour faces are so funny!


I am amazed how much fun games we can play to learn things. We have dice at the kitchen table and nearly every meal we play some sort of number game with the dice. Like comparing each of us rolling one dice, adding or subtracting the numbers, seeing if we can roll and the numbers adding up to 20. And we don't hardly notice that we are doing math, it is just for fun!

Making 3D shapes, again doing Math without even knowing it!

My big girl athe Royal Tyrell Museum, she was trying to avoid getting her picture taken but she is obviously distracted!

Tickled into submission!

We are having a great time so far and I am excited about the year ahead! Especially right now as most kids are heading back to school I am grateful to not have to!

2 comments:

  1. Oh how fun. I think you are a great mom and the best way to teach children at that age is definitely through play and exploring the world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun! It was funny today when we dropped Sophia off to see Kyndal's name tag left on the board outside their classroom but I am sure you guys will have a very successful future with homeschool.

    ReplyDelete