So we have arrived home from India! We had a great trip and are so happy to be back home to our family! I will share more on that later as I still want to catch up some on here first. I realized that I haven't even posted anything on my favorite hobby. I am now a quilter! I have been loving every second of it! I have been making quite a few quilts.
It started this summer as I was teaching a sewing class to a girl here and so I was inspired to do some sewing as well. So I continued to work on a project that I had brought with me, the girls quilt fabric. I began making my girls quilts 2 1/2 years ago. I bought the fabric and planned it out, cut it out and sewed a little bit. Then I put it down and thought occasionally about working on it again but of course I didn't. So I started sewing those quilts now. It was quite a big project, of course I never seem to be able to do anything small, I have to do 3 quilts at once. That is so like me! Anyways, I worked hard on these and finally got the tops all completed ( I will post pictures of these later). I was so excited about those that I needed another project right away!
So I found some quilts on a friends blog (found here) and was immediately inspired by modern quilting. I was hooked! I have also learned to machine quilt my quilts, which is so much fun. I can do so much more to put my personality into a quilt and I love the results beyond anything! It is so much fun!
I have found my own niche in an area that I grew up with. My mom and grandma have always quilted and I have done a few in the past, but some parts of it I didn't enjoy or just wasn't in love with. Now I have discovered possibilities beyond traditional, I have enjoyed every second of it and I can't get enough. I have big plans for many more quilts to come. I am very excited about it, in case you couldn't tell!
So here are some of the quilts that I have made the last few months. Some that I haven't taken pictures of but here is some of my starting quilts.
I made this quilt for a dear cousins baby. It was my first whole quilt with machine quilting. It was so fun and I even was able to quilt his name into it. It was a pretty simple design so really good for my first time practicing. I love to see how the whole thing comes together in the end. It is so amazing.
This quilt I made for my niece. I had so much fun with this simple design. Also, I got the fabric in a jelly roll, a roll of 30 fabric strips, in coordinating kinds of fabric. You will see how much fun I had with these strips the next couple of quilts. I separated these strips into more boyish or girlish colors and made 4 quilts out of them. I am happy with how they turned out. All somewhat similar but different.
This quilt is similar to the last one. I made this for a baby born in our ward. I had fun with this one for practicing different patterns of quilting on each strip. I had a book of machine quilting patterns and was trying out all of my favorite ones in it. It is hard to tell in these pictures but you may be able to see the stitching a little.
Of course what I am doing the kids are excited about as well. Kyndal wanted to make a quilt too. She picked out the fabrics that she wanted, she cut them and organized them. She sewed them together and ironed them. I helped to put the layers together, machine quilted them and helped her with the edging. She did so amazing with this and wanted to give it away to a baby that would need it. I love her writing on it, as it is her own little label, like the ones that I have put on some of my backs. She just took a permanent marker and wrote, "Love From Kyndal in Canada, For Your Baby!" We sent this quilt to Guatemala for Nana to find a needful baby to give it to. We got a picture from Nana of the baby recipient, named Mary. It was very special, such a great experience for both of us! Another quilter in the family!
This quilt I made for a friend of ours baby. I have definitely been getting better and faster. I love the results! This is again that same strip fabric, just cut differently.
I saw one like this on the computer that I fell in love with. My creation was not the very same, theirs had smaller squares, I think. Anyways, I am happy with how it turned out in the end, I really love the border, I think that it really finishes it off. I also love the tie-dyed backing to it. It is a fun quilt. This was for a dear sweet cousins baby, who worked very hard to grow her. I am grateful for that she is healthy and well and that I could make this quilt for her.
This quilt is for my new niece. She is the first Gainor niece of mine, it is very exciting. I had a lot of fun with this quilt. I love the backing color and the triangles making a border along the outside. I loved putting her name on it.
There are a few more that I didn't get pictures of and a few more that I am working on. I have sure love having babies to make quilts for. So I'm sure there will be more to come later!


So fun! When you are back here you will have to teach me :) I would love to learn! That last quilt for Parker is GORGEOUS - the colors are amazing and the chevron pattern is adorable :) Good work!
ReplyDeleteWow! They look so nice. We love Kensington's best, of course. We lay it out on the floor for her to play on. It's neat to see your progression. I can tell you're getting better as you go! You may have inherited some of your mom's obsessiveness, as well, don't you think? ;)
ReplyDelete